Air is the new oil, and now with the Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240/94 you can fry more healthfully with up to 75% less fat as it only requires a tablespoon of oil or less per cook.
As health trends continue to recommend a lower fat diet, many people are looking for ways to reduce fat in their diets while still being able to eat the foods they love. Fried foods have long been a no-no for those trying to avoid fat in their diet, but new technology is changing the cooking landscape for fried food lovers.
The unique and patented starfish design of the Philips XL circulates hot air around the entire unit, ensuring all food is cooked evenly. The finished food comes out crispy on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. The Philips XL Airfryer can do more than just fry; it grills, roasts, steams and even bakes so you have more options when feeding your family and entertaining guests.
Video – Philips HD9240 Avance XL Digital Airfryer
Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Features
– Featuring Rapid Air Technology, the Philips Airfryer circulates hot air with speed and precision for perfect results using less oil.
– The digital touch screen interface lets you adjust the temperature up to 390 degrees, allowing you to cook a variety of food.
– 60-minute timer with ready signal and auto shut-off.
– Smart preset button that memorizes the settings for your favorite food.
– Dishwasher-safe parts for a quick and easy clean up.
Our Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Review
The large sized Philips Airfryer XL, is part of the Avance collection and relatively new on the market. As interest in oil-less cooking continues to grow by leaps and bounds, this manufacturer is working to offer consumers the options they want and need. This is a full featured 1,800W air fryer with a 2.65-pound cooking capacity and a digital interface. It even includes a “smart” preset button that you can use to save custom settings for a favorite recipe that you cook most often.
Be warned that it’s not a small appliance, but if you’ve got the space it could well become one of the most used gadgets in your kitchen.
What Makes The Philips XL So Interesting?
The Philips Avance XL Digital Airfryer is a countertop appliance that has been designed to replace your standard fryer while also being able to bake, roast and grill. The Philips XL Airfryer uses Rapid Air technology to fry foods with little or no added oil.
Its starfish design combines fast circulating air that is superheated to produce a healthier result. Fried foods come out crunchy on the outside but remain moist and tender on the inside. Within the line of Philips Airfryers, the Philips Airfryer XL model has an extra-large capacity and can hold an impressive 2.65 pounds of food. It is designed to hold enough food to serve a family of four people.
The Rapid Air technology allows you to cook a whole frying chicken in as little as 30 minutes with very little preparation effort. A basket of frozen french fries can be ready in 18 minutes. Because most foods can be cooked in the Philips XL Airfryer with no added oil, the Airfryer can often remove excess oil that is in the food. This excess oil ends up in the bottom of the food drawer and can be poured off at the end of cooking.
The Philips XL has a digital touch screen that is user friendly as its digital controls include a timer that accommodates cooking times up to 60 minutes, a ready indicator and an auto-off function. The temperature control is completely adjustable to the desired temperature between 150ºF and 390ºF. The controls feature many presets for cooking your favorite foods quickly and easily.
Optional accessories can be purchased for the Philips XL Airfryer including a grill pan and a tiered rack with skewers, for layering larger batches of food in one cooking cycle. Aesthetically, the Philips XL Airfryer unit contains the frying smell better than a typical frying appliance. It comes in black or white exterior colors to suit your kitchen decor.
The appliance has a number of safety features including an auto-off function and cool to the touch exterior which makes it ideal for a family environment.
Video – Philips Airfryer XL with Rapid Air technology
How Do You Use The Philips XL?
The Philips XL Airfryer is fairly intuitive and easy to operate. You open the drawer and place the food item that you wish to cook into the food basket. Close the drawer and use the digital touch screen to set the temperature and the time to the desired values. You can stop the cooking occasionally to check the status of your food and turn the items if necessary. Once cooking is complete, you can easily clean up the Airfryer by placing the basket and drawer in the dishwasher.
How To Clean The XL Airfryer?
The manufacturer claims that the basket and food drawer of the Avance XL Airfryer are dishwasher safe. However, some users have reported that the non-stick coating has come off in the dishwasher. The best recommendation is to remove the drawer and basket immediately after cooking and soak gently in warm, soapy water. Then after the meal when you are ready to clean up, the non-stick coating makes any food easy to wipe off and wash in soapy water.
A few times a year, you should turn the machine upside down and use a scrubby and a disposable cleaning cloth to clean the elements and the drawer cavity. You may have to do this more often if you use the Airfryer very frequently and you are experiencing smoking during use.
Video – Philips Airfryer HD9240 – How to clean it
Where Can I Get Replacement Parts?
A limited number of replacement parts are available from the manufacturer and some of these parts are available on Amazon.
Grill Pan for Philips Avance, XL (model 9240): Non-stick coated and dishwasher safe, the grill pan has a perforated, ridged surface designed to allow for air flow when searing or “grilling” meats, seafood or vegetables.
Airfryer Double Layer Rack with Skewers for Avance, XL (model 9240): This non-stick coated rack allows you to double the available cooking surface inside your airfryer so you can cook more at a time. The included skewers can be used for meat or veggie kabobs. Both rack and skewers are also dishwasher safe.
Baking Pan: At the time of writing this Philips has yet to make such a pan for its XL model. However, there are some other options:
One is the Air Fryer Cooking & Baking Accessory Pack. 3 Piece Airfryer Accessories Pack – Dishwasher Safe made by Simple Living Products. This set includes a deep baking pan, shallow pizza pan, and a rack with skewers, as you can see pictured at right.
The other option is made by Hiware. It does not include a rack, but it costs less and is of excellent quality. I own the smaller accessories from Hiware and can vouch that the pans are every bit as good as Philips brand pans. Unless you really want the rack, these pans are high quality at a great price. Check it out on Amazon: [XL-VERSION] Air Fryer Accessories XL – Fits All 5.3 – 5.8QT – Non-Stick Barrel / Pan + Silicone Mat + Air Fryer Recipes, Compatible with Power Air Fryer XL / Philips Avance XL HD9240 / GoWISE USA XL
Important: Note that due to the size difference in Philips Air fryers, you need to be sure to purchase the correct accessory for your specific model.
Where Can I Buy Refurbished?
If you are excited to see how the Philips Airfryer can fit into your healthier lifestyle, but don’t want to invest in a completely new one, you may be interested in purchasing a certified refurbished model. Several models and colors are available at Amazon. Click here to see the refurbished Philips XL at Amazon.
Video – How to cook the perfect steak on a Philips Airfryer HD9240
What Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Customers Say
Now that this model has been out for a while, I’ve found over 260 online reviews, and 80% of them are positive. In the reviews that are negative, several of the worst ratings were given by people who were expecting their home breaded chicken pieces to turn out tasting exactly like fast food deep-fried chicken. Other very low reviews were filtered out of the average because they involved complaints like “it’s too big and overpriced”, just a matter of opinion that has nothing to do with product quality or performance.
Video – Philips Airfryer XL Review
Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Review Summary
There is no question that reducing the amount of fat in your diet is a wise decision for your health. The trade-offs are that you may need a little patience learning a new cooking method, and you need to have reasonable taste expectations. Airfried chicken may not be an exact match for deep fried, but most agree that the slight difference is well worth enjoying all the benefits of healthier eating.
The Philips Xl Avance Airfryer HD9240, is one of the largest capacity units on the market. It offers all the basic features you should expect, plus extra power and some unique conveniences such as the preset cooking function. Dishwasher safe parts make cleanup easy, and whether you prefer black or white, you won’t pay extra for your color preference. This model is a good choice for fried food lovers who want to eat healthier, and especially for those who entertain often or cook for a family.
Philips XL Airfryer, The Original Airfryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black, HD9240/94
7 used from $173.02
- Featuring Rapid Air Technology, the Philips Airfryer circulates hot air with speed and precision for perfect results using less oil
- The digital touch screen interface lets you adjust the temperature up to 390 degrees, allowing you to cook a variety of food
- 60-minute timer with ready signal and auto shut-off
- Smart preset button that memorizes the settings for your favorite food
- Dishwasher-safe parts for a quick and easy clean up
Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Tips
1. – Before you start cooking, it’s recommended that you preheat the air fryer for an average of three minutes to get the desired temperature (although this isn’t necessary, it just speeds up the process). After you’ve placed the ingredients in the basket or cooking pot, you need to make sure that there is enough space left for the hot air to pass.
2. – If you want to make pre-made food, like frozen French fries, it is recommended that you set the temperature lower by 70 degrees than what’s standard, and also reduce the cooking time set on the timer by half (usually takes about 15-20 minutes). That being said, this temperature and time measurements can vary greatly, depending on the type of food you’re making, and your personal preference.
3. – While most of the air fryers use a non-stick pan, or cooking basket to cook, don’t forget to add just a tiny bit of oil on the bottom of the pot, in order to avoid the food getting stuck to the pan. Consult your recipe book if you’re unsure about the amount of oil you should use.
4. – If you want to cook food that has excessive fat, for example chicken drumsticks, you should get off any splattering and excess vapor. If you’re cooking food that is high in fat by nature, you should probably clean any fat that stuck on the bottom of the cooking basket after you’ve finished cooking your meal.
5. – After every single use of air fryer, you really should find time to clean the air fryer carefully, by using hot water and low to medium-hard sponge, unless you want your air fried food tasting like grease after a couple of weeks, or even days of usage. After properly cleaning the Air fryer, dry it out with a paper towel.
Philips XL Avance Airfryer HD9240 Recipes
Gordon Ramsay, the Michelin-star chef and restaurateur, has teamed up with Philips Airfryer and created healthy chef quality dishes that are both fast and delicious.
AirFryer Turkey Sliders by Gordon Ramsay
Video – Easy Turkey Sliders Recipe
|Turkey||Spicy Spread||Pickled Jalapenos||Side Salad|
|1 ½ pound Turkey ground meat
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. hot sauce of choice
1 shallot minced
3 tsp. fresh thyme minced
1 tbsp. parsley minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. pepper
¼ cup fine breadcrumbs
1 cup sliced cipollini onions
12 Brioche sliders
| 1cup Mayo
¼ cup Siracha
| 1 jalapeno
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
| 8 heads baby gem lettuce
2 shallots, 1 minced, 1 sliced
¼ cup Meyer lemon juice
1 tbsp. champagne vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
Parmesan reggiano grated
1. Get the air fryer hot at 360 degrees.
2. Mix turkey, Worcestershire, hot sauce, shallots, thyme, parsley, salt, sugar, pepper and breadcrumbs in a bowl, till combined. Measure out into 3-ounce sliders.
3. Place a sauté pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp. Olive oil. Add cippolini onions. Salt, pepper. Cook till golden brown.
4. Place the turkey patties evenly on the bottom and on the rack. Set the fryer for 12 minutes.
5. Spicy aioli – Mix the mayo and sriracha. Taste adjust seasoning if needed.
6. Pickled Jalapenos – Mix together water, sugar, and rice vinegar add sliced jalapenos and let rest.
7. To make the salad vinaigrette mix together minced shallots, Meyer lemon juice, champagne vinegar, salt and pepper. Gradually add the olive oil to incorporate the dressing
8. In the fryer, toast the buns in a pan till golden. To assemble, Put a nice amount of spicy aioli on the bottom bun. Put the slider on top followed by the cipollini onions and pickled jalapenos
9. To assemble the salad. Cut the baby gems and pull apart the leaves. Toss with the vinaigrette add the sliced shallots and grated Parmesan.
AirFryer Tiger Shrimp & Glass Noodle Salad by Gordon Ramsay
Video – Tiger Shrimp Recipe with Gordon Ramsay | Philips Airfryer
|Tiger Shrimp||Glass Noodle Salad||Ginger Soy Vinaigrette|
|12 ea Tiger Shrimp, butterflied, tail on.
¼ cup Extra virgin Olive oil
2TBS Espelette Spice
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one lime
1 tb Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
| 16 oz Glass Noodles, cooked and chilled.
1 Medium size English cucumber, peeled,
deseeded, sliced on the bias.
4 Baby yellow bell peppers, julienned.
4 Baby red bell peppers, julienned.
1 Carrot, peeled and julienned.
2 ea Scallions, bias cut.
½ cup Mint leaves
½ cup Cilantro leaves
| 4 Lemons Juiced.
1 cup Soy Sauce
4 oz Ginger, peeled, microplaned
1 bunch Scallions, sliced
4 oz Honey
2 cups Grapeseed Oil
1. Preheat Air Fryer at 390 degrees for 10 minutes.
2. Brush shrimp with espelette oil, zest the lemon and lime over and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place 6 shrimp in bottom of the basket, butterflied side down. Cook for 4 minutes. Cool down on a sheet tray.
4. Repeat cooking steps for remaining shrimp.
Glass Noodle Salad
1. In a large bowl, toss all ingredients in bowl, except for shrimp and micro cilantro. Dress
with vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
2. Divide salad onto four plates. Place 3 shrimp around salad on each plate. Garnish with
Ginger Soy Vinaigrette
1. In a medium size bowl, whisk together lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, ginger, scallion.
Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified.
AirFryer Coffee and Chilli Rubbed Rib – Eye Steak With Pan Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Compound Herb Butter by Gordon Ramsay
Video – Coffee & Chili-Rub Steak Recipe with Gordon Ramsay | Philips Airfryer
|Coffee & Chili Rubbed Rib-Eye Steak||Roasted Fingerling Potatoes||Compound Herb Butter|
|¼ cup ancho chili powder
¼ cup finely ground espresso
2 Tbsp. Paprika
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
1 Tbsp. dried Oregano
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. Aleppo Pepper
4 Boneless Rib-Eye Steaks 2 Inches Thick,
approximately 1 ½ lbs. each
Salt & Pepper to taste
| 1 Lb. Fingerling potatoes
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 shallot quartered
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 thyme sprigs
2 Tbsp. chives and parsley leaves minced for garnish
Salt & Pepper to taste
| 1 Cup butter, room temperature
1 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. shallot, finely diced
1 Tbsp. chives, finely minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
Compound Herb Butter
1. Combine the room temperature butter, parsley, garlic, shallot and chive in a bowl and mix to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of cling film and roll into a log. Twist the ends and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm. Cut into pats and reserve until the steak is cooked.
Coffee Rubbed Rib-Eye
1. Combine all of the spices in a bowl and mix to thoroughly combine.
2. Pre heat the air fryer to 390 degrees
3. Generously rub the dry spice mixture into the rib-eye steaks and then season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes or as long as possible.
4. Cook the steak for 10 minutes. Open the drawer and flip the steak and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining steaks. Top each steak with a pat of herb butter.
Pan Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Add the potatoes
and cook until just tender. Drain the potatoes and cool slightly
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large sautéed over medium/high heat. Add in
the shallot, garlic, thyme and halved potatoes and sauté until browned on both sides. Season with salt
and pepper and garnish with minced chives.
AirFryer Kale & Chicken Salad By Gordon Ramsay
Video – Kale & Chicken Salad Recipe with Gordon Ramsay
|For The Airfryer
||Pickled Vegetables||For Plating|
|4 8oz Chicken Breasts, Skin Off
4 oz Vadouvan Spice
1 bunch Kale, washed and cut into 2 inch strips
Salt and pepper
1 cup Olive oil separated throughout recipe
|4 Baby Yellow Bell Peppers, Julienned
4 Baby Red Bel Peppers, Julienned
1 Carrot, Peeled and julienned
1 cup Champagne Vinegar
¼ cup Honey
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 cup Ice Cubes
¾ cup EVOO
|10 oz Baby Kale
1 Small Red Onion, Julienned
For The Airfryer
1. Set Air Fryer at 360 degrees and preheat for 8 minutes.
2. For Kale Chips – Lightly dress the cut kale with the remaining olive oil, season with salt
and pepper. Place 4 – 6 slices of kale on the bottom basket. Cook at 360 degrees for 2
minutes. Remove from fryer and place onto a sheet tray to cool
3. Finally, season Chicken breasts with salt, pepper, vadouvan and ½ cup olive oil in a medium
size bowl. Cook two chicken breasts at a time (one on the bottom rack and one on the top rack insert) for 10 minutes. Flip each breast over and cook for another 8 minutes. Remove to a cooling tray and repeat steps with the remaining two chicken breasts.
1. Place sugar, honey, vinegar, cinnamon, bay leaf and salt into a medium sauce pot, Bring to a boil, remove from heat and strain.
2. Place carrots in a small bowl and peppers into another. Divide the hot pickling liquid between the two bowls and stir ice into each bowl to slightly cool down the liquid.
3. Cover pickled vegetables and chill until ready to use.
4. To make vinaigrette – Strain 3 tablespoons of the pickling liquid and emulsify by whisking in briskly the olive oil
1.In a large bowl combine baby kale, red onion, pickled vegetables and lightly dress with vinaigrette. Season to taste.
2. Slice chicken breasts in ½ inch pieces on a slight bias
3. Plate dressed salad
4. Lay chicken breasts on side of each salad
5. Garnish with kale chips